8 fruits ideal for those with diabetes
Fruits are full of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants and are recommended for a healthy diet.
Certain fruits may be included in the diet of the person diagnosed with diabetes. It's all about knowing the amount of carbohydrates that the fruits you want to eat contain, as well as their blood sugar levels.
Doctors say it's best to choose fruits that have a low glycemic index, precisely to gauge how a carbohydrate-containing food can raise blood sugar.
Here are the best fruits for people with diabetes:
- Raspberry. It contains low carbohydrates and has a lot of benefits including maintaining heart health.
- Pomegranates are rich in antioxidants and in addition protect you from free radicals and chronic diseases.
- Blueberries. These appear to play an important role in stabilizing blood glucose levels. Also, there are studies that show that a cure of blueberries can even prevent cardiovascular disease, the main complication of those diagnosed with diabetes.
- Apricots are also recommended for diabetics, because they contain only 17 calories, are rich in fiber and strong antioxidants, such as zeaxanthin and lutein.
- Cherries, as rich in antioxidants, are perfect for diabetics. They contain 19 times more beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant, than strawberries and blueberries. In addition to regulating sleep due to the melatonin content, cherries lower blood glucose and lower cholesterol, which is also good for relieving joint pain.
- Apples are high in fiber and have a low calorie content. These are practically the ideal fruits for those who have diabetes, moreover, they are fruits that are found throughout the year and can be consumed as snacks daily.
- Pears contain 80% water, are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Moreover, they have a low glycemic index being recommended for those with diabetes.
- The strawberries have a low glycemic index, which is why they are ideal for those with diabetes. Moreover, they support the body's immunity, in addition they are recommended to those with obesity and prediabetes, helping to lose the extra kilos.