Cervical spondylosis is one of the most common diseases of people who spend a lot of time sitting in the office.
The illness causes neck pain or even stiffness, and the person in question is no longer able to work at optimal odds. If pain does not cede to antiinflammatory drugs for more than a week, it is advisable to go to a doctor.
In the literature, cervical spondylosis is defined as a degenerative disorder of vertebrae and intervertebral discs in the neck region, which is typically manifested by pain in the area of the neck and shoulders.
Specialists claim that cervical spondylosis involves changing bones, vertebrae, discs and neck joints. Sometimes the disease affects the elderly, the cause being aging, but in recent years it is more and more common among young people.
What are the risk factors of the disease:
- Aging is the main risk factor. As a rule, after the age of 50, the bones and ligaments thicken, narrowing the spinal canal, and the movements become difficult. At the same time, discs that amortize shocks are thinner and can not properly protect the vertebrae.
- Sedentarism, another risk factor especially in young people who have cervical spondylosis.
- Another risk factor is stroke, trauma. These inconveniences are particularly common in performance athletes.
- Incorrect posture plays a very important role in vertebral column changes, resulting in cervical spondylosis.
The main symptoms are:
- Pain in the neck and stiffness,
- Shoulder and shoulder pain,
- Failure to rotate or bend the neck.
When spondylosis is accentuated, there is a high pressure on the spine, and thus a new condition called myelopathy occurs. Symptoms include: tingling, numbness, weakening of the upper and lower limbs, lack of coordination, and walking is difficult, reflex loss occurs and muscle spasms appear.
A simple x-ray can diagnose spondylosis, and rarely more extensive investigations, such as magnetic resonance or computed tomography, are needed.
Unfortunately, the disease is not cured, but there are treatments to relieve pain and increase the quality of life of the patient. Massage, medical gymnastics, kinetotherapy are also helpful. Spondylosis drugs are anti-inflammatory, anti-algic and decontractant.