Scoliosis, the most common condition in the spine. Symptoms and treatment
Scoliosis is the most common medical problem located in the spine. Practically, the lateral curvature of the spine as described in scoliosis usually occurs during growth periods before puberty.
Often, scoliosis is mild, although there are children who develop distortions of the spine that get worse over time. In mild cases, treatment is not necessary. Only serious cases requiring constant monitoring are possible to get to surgery.
Here are the main signs and symptoms of scoliosis:
- the chest box is not symmetrical,
- one hip is higher than the other,
- one shoulder is higher than the other,
- as a rule, legs do not have the same length,
In serious cases of scoliosis, it can lead to distortion of walking, but also to the appearance of breathing problems, pain occurs and soothing and sometimes cardiovascular problems are required. More serious is that scoliosis also affects the emotional side, especially as there are some hormonal changes in adolescence. As a rule, a teenager with scoliosis has a low self-esteem and sometimes gets depressed. That is why family support is essential.
There are several types of scoliosis in the literature:
- congenital scoliosis – is based on an abnormality of bones present at birth,
- neuromuscular scoliosis – is present in people with bifid spleen or in patients with cerebral palsy,
- idiopathic scoliosis – the causes are unknown, although it is thought to be genetics. It is the most common type of scoliosis.
Diagnosis is determined by an X-ray.
What is the treatment:
Most times, mild scoliosis does not require treatment but only monitoring at 6 months.
A standard scoliosis treatment that applies to children with a spinal curvature between 25 and 40 degrees is the bodice. Its purpose is temporary correction.
However, more serious cases, adolescents who have a spine curvature of more than 50 degrees, may require surgery. Physiotherapy or kinetotherapy is also helpful in scoliosis. And massage is a method that helps relieve pain caused by scoliosis.