Vitamin that lowers the risk of stroke. What the researchers found
Scientists have found that vitamin B is very effective in reducing the risk of stroke.
In a study published in the journal Neurology, the researchers analyzed the results of 14 clinical trials involving 54,913 people. The results revealed that people who took vitamin B supplements for six months reduced their risk of stroke by seven percent.
Vitamin B, however, had no effect on the severity of a stroke or on the risk of death.
According to Medical News Today, the most effective in reducing the risk of stroke was found to be vitamin B9, while vitamin B12 had no effect.
Vitamin B9, ie folic acid plays an extremely important role in the body.
The human body needs this vitamin to:
- the production, repair and function of DNA and RNA
- cofactor action in various biological reactions
- synthesis of red figurative elements with role in the transport of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the body
- the prevention of congenital neurological and cardiac malformations, for this reason they are used in the preconception and in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. Folic acid is one of the components of nutritional supplements recommended for pregnant and lactating women.
- protection against lung, esophageal, gastric, pancreatic, colon and cervical cancer
- helps to improve the decline of memory in the elderly
- reduces the increased homocysteine level (increased concentrations of this amino acid have been associated with: myocardial infarction, ischemic stroke, venous thrombosis, osteoporosis, macular degeneration, etc.).
What are the recommended daily doses of folic acid?
- Children 60 – 200 µg (folic acid dose should be taken at the pediatrician's recommendation)
- Pregnant women 600 µg
- Women breastfeeding 500 µg
- Women 400 µg
- Men 400 µg
What are the sources of vitamin B?
Natural sources: spinach, peas, lentils, pods, broccoli, beets, sunflower seeds, corn, cabbage, peanuts, strawberries, raspberries, oranges, bananas, eggs, milk. By thermal preparation some of the folic acid is destroyed, therefore it is recommended to consume vegetables and fruits that are not thermally prepared.
Vitamin B complex is also useful in other health problems such as anxiety, depression, heart disease and even Alzheimer's.